Ticket #200 (closed defect: fixed)
Locale parsing should be more robust
|Reported by:||wichert@…||Owned by:||fschwarz|
Apple did a somewhat stupid thing on OSX 10.6: it defaults to setting LC_CTYPE=UTF-8. This is obviously a bad value since UTF-8 is a character encoding and not a locale. Unfortunately Babel does not handle this very elegantly: it aborts in parse_locale with ValueError: expected only letters, got 'utf-8'.
Since this makes it impossible for people to run Babel-using applications on OSX 10.6 unless they manually correct LC_CTYPE I suggest that Babel be a bit more relaxed about errors like this: instead of raising an exception it should log a warning and ignore the bogus value.
- Status changed from closed to reopened
- Resolution fixed deleted
- Owner changed from cmlenz to jruigrok
- Cc lists@… added
- Status changed from reopened to new
- Status changed from new to assigned
- Milestone changed from 1.0 to 0.9.6
comment:11 Changed 2 years ago by fschwarz
- Status changed from assigned to new
- Owner changed from jruigrok to fschwarz